Sunday, October 08, 2006

Weaving the Morning

Good morning. It's 8:30 and I have to head into work this morning. We have Artrain USA visiting Fairbanks and Fairbanks Arts Association is hosting. I accepted the position a Program Director in the summer and so I'm and working this weekend to make sure everything is alright. My Community Writer's Group also meets today. We gather every 2nd Sunday of the month to share our work and write critiques. This month is the first month in nearly a year that I did not submit any writing, as the short story I am working on is a little more complicated than I'm use to writing. It is another Science Fiction piece that is a continuation of the Twilight series that I've drafted so far.

Given my complicated schedule I am not banking on writing much until the evening. Most likely I will work on my knitting as I have a few Christmas pieces to complete. Today I am also going to layout the robe I am making for my son Ivan. He chose a very complex Star Wars design and so I will be challenged to make it look good.

I am a beginning artist in may genres. Actually, writing is my longest study, yet I consider myself a beginner because until now I have used it more as a hobby than work. I took up knitting about this time last year and have completed a few pieces. However, my work shines with uneven weaves that will grow consistent with practice. I have a studio downstairs that is under renovation and a closet full of ideas. I am at the point where I am ready to take those ideas and make them my living. It is scary, but it's what I've decided to do.

I'm kind of at a loss where to start... I suppose creating a body of work is a good place. In writing I am going to finish the rough draft of my short stories and then begin to submit. The more I work in my present position, the more I understand about the art industry. However, I am still at a loss to how people turn up opportunities to do this for a living.

Keep you posted on my progress... K-Vap

No comments: