Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Casualty of the Learning Curve


It's Tuesday, or my Monday as we had a three-day weekend that was really a two day weekend for me by time we wrapped up performing Saturday night. Next weekend we go for the full gamult, but I won't have to go to class or do anything during the evening hours, which will allow me time to rest up in the post-dance season.

Hmm...

I am still trying to wrap up all the weeks of laundry that I did not do during theatre week and during the show. I am about 3/4ths of the way there with a couple of huge piles of specialty clothes spilling out onto the floor. I have laid out my shoes to air out, washed my toe pads and my nude leo. My tights are ready to go for Thursday's pick up rehearsal and the weekend shows. Most of all, I have gotten some sleep.

There are many other projects that are leaning on me. If there is one thing that I have had to keep in mind during the past two weeks is the very simple fact that I can only do one thing at a time. I am beyond the point of multi-tasking beyond drinking coffee and reading the comics. Yeah, I sometimes munch of a bag of Cheetos while I write or edit, but I cannot try to iron and work out (syntax error!) or try to read and watch TV at the same time. Worse is my habit of trying to focus on one project while thinking about another. It doesn't work and so the work doesn't get done. Over the years I have struggled to set priorities, but those days are gone. I have priorities and though they don't always jive with others or meet these expectations that others have set for me (without my permission mind you), I am beginning to figure it out.

So tonight I will finish my laundry and finish up updates to the Monroe website, finish the Excel sheet for the CWG submissions and workout. Tomorrow I will finish updates to the AK music website and go to my potluck dinner and work out. Thursday is the pick up rehearsal and then I will perform until Sunday. One thing at a time.

On that note, I encourage anyone in the Fairbanks area to come see Thumbelina this weekend at the Alaska Centennial Center for the Arts in Alaskaland. We perform Friday at 7pm, Saturday at 2pm and 7pm and Sunday at 2pm. Tickets are $15/adult, $10/senior, military, and student, $5/child 12 and under. Tickets can be purchased at Beaver Sports, Bruegger's Bagels, DTF Firehouse studios, or at the door. We had a sold out opening night despite a Trace Atkins concert and a packed Saturday matinee, so don't hold out!

Write more later... Peace, RK

No comments: