Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Spy Among Us





















So it sounds as if there is a spy among us. When I say 'us' I mean my people. Someone with a big mouth retelling private discussions to other. That is not cool and that person is going to be found out. We can go into a moralistic rant about how we shouldn't be talking about each other in the first place, but get real. This is life. People talk about people. Our people talk about each other and people who are too sensitive to handle that aren't going to make it far in this world. My people are my siblings: We fight, we talk about each other, but in the end we are there for each other and sure as shit no one better pick a fight with someone from my camp or I am there to end it. Yet, the spy among us is not our people and sure as shit I am going to end that too.

It's amazing what people tell about themselves when they open their mouths on myspace or on blogs. If you think I'm not careful about what I write, then you are wrong because I know a secret, no matter how mundane it seems is revealed. Yesterday our sensitive soul revealed too much by imploring us to "Just Get Along." I know who her people are and who would tell her anything of a personal nature. Yet, a wise person would have just slipped this information into her pocket and used it to find out information about others. A smart person would have used it to their benefit. It's how the world works. It's not fair. It's not nice, but neither is Monopoly and we play that all the time.

I cannot tell you how many times I have quoted Robert Greene's 48 Laws of Power and this is another example of how we hardly teach youth nowadays the proper behavior in "court." Sure we think the times of dictatorships and king's court is dead in the United States, but we are wrong and we do wrong by not teacher out children how to survive. Some come by it naturally. I can tell now by watching the reaction of the "queen" with her favorites, what they have done to become her favorites, and how they keep the others from gaining their spots. I see who lets who into their inner circle and I can tell you the movie Mean Girls is spot on.

In the case of our spy, which I have narrowed down to one or two regulars and or a visitor who has not figured out the rules of court. In this case our sensitive one needs to remember the following:

Law 2: Never put too Much Trust in Friends, Learn how to use Enemies

Law 4: Always say Less than Necessary

Law 14: Pose as a Friend, Work as a Spy (but if you're spying, please be smarter than working with someone who is going to make it obvious who you are!)

And most of all... get a spine. It's a tough ugly world out there and even if there are days when I come home crying I know that I will make out in the end. I know my people are still my people, even if they are pretty awful some times. Darwinism rules in every form. Be a player, don't be a victim.

Peace... RK

No comments: