Wednesday, August 13, 2008

G.unk or Cyberpunk?

A New Name for a New Generation

We had a strange discussion the other day. The boys were gossiping (or whatever boys call it when boys are involved and not girls) about someone who was Emo. Okay, I'm there. I know that Emo is that ultimate depressant with whom no Goth can compete (actually, Goths describe Emos as 'really whiny Goths'). They often, though not always, cut themselves (thus the joke, 'I wish my lawn was Emo so it would cut itself') as a way of expressing their anti-social, depressing, fatalistic behavior. Well, we didn't have Emos when I was a kid, we just had depressed kids and if you look close at my hands, I carry the scars of a really, really depressing time in my life. I laughed and got out the photo album and showed them the only picture left in existence that proved I was once what they would consider Emo (it's about the size of a driver's license picture). The kids were stunned that I was Emo and a half hour later could not understand that we did not have this definition when I was a child. Perhaps if we did, maybe I would have never gone there to begin with.

In a different conversation, different house, mostly different children, and at a different time we started talking about Ursie's conversion to Goth, Thalia's ability to dress like Scarlet Johansen and Ivan's geeky tendencies so readily hidden by his rather preppish look that day. Ursie clarified that she was a N.oth for Nerd.Goth and Thalia said she was a N.ep or a G.ep for Nerd.Prep or a Geek.Prep, at which time I had to define the difference between a Nerd and a Geek; that is, a Geek is a Nerd with style. Ivan defined himself as a N.unk for Nerd.Punk, but I told him that he had style and so he was G.unk. We laughed because gunk clogs up the system as is the intention for punks, which means G.unks clog up the system with technological style and then we remembered that the previous label given to this type of person was cyberpunk and so we decided a new name for a new generation.

Kvapil, You're a Dork

I hadn't realized until today that it has almost been a week since my last post. Though I haven't given too much focus to the new school year rolling around, it apparently has been gunking up my schedule anyway. I had to take Ivan clothes shopping last weekend and this weekend we will battle the other moms for school supplies. Thalia was over Saturday to spend a nice long day with Ivan, which is something they won't have time to do again until Christmas (Hanukkah?) vacation. I went on that long awaited shopping spree this weekend buying new shoes, skirts, slacks, jeans, scarves, and jewelry. I never thought I could totally refill my entire closet with clothes from Fairbanks (you see it is believed that you must at least travel to Anchorage, or Seattle, or Italy, or somewhere), but I did. It was the most tiring three days of my life. We found out Monday though that I wasn't the only one who got a wardrobe upgrade. Ursie the N.oth is styling a new look. Ivan gives it three months before she changes, but I'm not sure. It fits her and her personality pretty well, and so long as this new generation is sporting crossovers maybe this will provide the new stylistic room to keep us all from being bored.

That said, it is important to remember what William Gibson's character Johnny Mnemonic said in the short story of the same name:

"If they think you're crude, go technical; if they think you're technical, go crude. I'm a very technical boy. So I decided to get as crude as possible. These days, though, you have to be pretty technical before you can even aspire to crudeness."

The Thing about Fashion


Alright, in all seriousness, I think I better understand some of the upsides of fashion. Oh yes, I can go into the downsides. I mean Twiggy didn't get her name because she looked like an elephant in a flared skirt and a fitted top. Balanchine's love for stick figures with heartbeats wasn't just a trend in ballet. Beside anorexia we see a terrible decline in posture, which leads to a bunch of humpbacks with canes. Yet, I used to think that the mantra of 'people judge you on how you look' was gospel because I noticed that when I wore nice clothes, people were nice (and maybe even a bit afraid) of me. Yet, I noticed there were a lot of other slacky, not as nicely dressed people who got just as much respect. I began to ask myself 'Why'?

The answer is that fashion is empowering. Prada does not look good on everyone and God knows I should not wear dreadlocks. However, my friend Kadey looks fantastic in dreadlocks because she is true to this type of personality. I'm not sure I'm a Prada woman, but at the very least I can pull off a pair of Vera Wangs because my personality is that of a nice looking woman who wants life to be art. Sure some days that art is Grant Wood, other days it is Van Gogh, and how many of us have experienced one of those Salvador Dali moments? Sunday I wore burgundy leather pants and a hippy-chick tank, Monday I wore a brown flared skirt with a white shirt and brown jacket, yesterday I wore a brown sleeveless top with white diamond designs and a hippy-chick skirt and boots. Today I'm wearing strappy Steve Maddens, a flared pink skirt and a emerald green bodice. If I had a hybrid name it would G.urban for Geek.Urban because I really don't fit any general stereotype either, which is why I thought of the description of a 'cerebral artist' in the first place. I dance, write, help with web design, take photographs, and so on and so on. If the Devil Wears Prada, then there is No Rest for the Wicked!

Well, I better go. Believe it or not in between all this shopping and waxing philosophical about the death of straight cliques I have been transcribing my novel outlinine and figuring out which characters still need their personality profiles completed. I am down to Raquel, Dr. Nicholas Contreras, Dr. Robert Box, and Dr. Meridith Greene. Community Writers' Group is reworking our anthology proposal from a grant proposal to a project proposal for Fairbanks Arts Association, which includes a website and a possible art contest that I will design. I will begin drafting the marketing section of this proposal tonight for presentation on the 23rd. And I was just hired to photograph a wedding on October 4th. If I'm going to get anything done, I better get off this line... Write more later... Peace, RK



No comments: