Thursday, September 25, 2008

Do One Thing Everyday That Scares You

Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen)

Anyone who remembers this Baz Luhrmann song will remember this important piece of advice. Actually, there were several important pieces of advice and Ivan and I frequently quote this song in our "Ivan-Rachael speak" as people have come to refer to our communication style. It has been a trying time for me because I am actually undertaking projects that do scare me. Sure I've built websites, published photos and graphic designs, and even poetry and short stories. Now I've decided to go a step forward to make creating new work and submitting it to wherever a regular habit. This is very difficult for me because I hate the rejection notice. Yet, I've had to rephrase what I am doing to make it more palatable. I have decided to approach this stage of growth as nothing more than developing new habits. Therefore, I do not expect myself to sell a piece or have it accepted (as I did before). What I am doing is developing the habit of creating new work and submitting it to publishers and galleries. This means that if I get a submission sent off and new stories and chapters written, the I have succeeded. If I publish something and get paid, well that's a bonus. I think most people don't believe that I would have trouble with rejection, but I do. It's the thing that has held me back most. Now I'm ready to address the problem and move forward.

Happy Birthday Chantel!

A big shout out to the pretty face above. It is Chantel's 14th birthday today. It makes me feel old because I remember when she was little and wearing cute little costumes in our dance productions. Soon most of the girls I dance with will turn 14 and so will my son in March . Makes me all nostolgic *sniff* * sniff* Get a copy of Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen) and listen to the part that says:

"Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth; oh nevermind; you will not
understand the power and beauty of your youth until they have faded.
But trust me, in 20 years you’ll look back at photos of yourself and
recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before
you and how fabulous you really looked…"

If I knew then what I know now...

What's Left?

With both a visual arts and literary arts submission in the bag and a upcoming dance production in the works I have felt wiped out! Yet, I have one more VA and LA submission before I can spend some time on Di Vinci's couch.

*/I'm interrupting my thoughts to explain the concept of Di Vinci's couch: Although Leonardo Di Vinci was a genius, he learned that he would burnout quickly if he did not take down time between projects. As the story goes, a client came to check on the progress of a work he hired Di Vinci to complete. When he found Di Vinci lying on a couch he grumbled that the project would never get done with Di Vinci lying around; to which Di Vinci told him that the project wouldn't get done if he didn't.*/

I too have learned that I need to regroup. Lie down and just let my imagination run wild. Think of the what if's and the how to's. Sometimes I think of nothing really. Sometimes I just look at cloud formations or birds or flowers or my shoe collection. The mind needs a chance to wander and I am making this more of a habit as well.

I'm off. I have several more things before class tonight. Hopefully, it won't be as exhausting as last night. I ended up taking ibuprophin, a hot bath, getting cramps in my knees and hamstrings, and falling into a dead sleep. Wednesday is the killer night.

Write more later... Peace RK



No comments: