Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Election Post-Partum

In a free society the state does not administer the affairs of men. It administers justice among men who conduct their own affairs. -Walter Lippmann

We Watched...

Per our tradition, Ivan and I sat and watched MSNBC as the counts came in. We are Democrats. Ivan more stanch and more politically involved than most of my friends. He is only 13 and cannot yet vote, but that does not seem to stop him from reading about the issues and developing an opinions. Sometimes I have to temper that adolescent liberalism with a dose of motherly liberal-conservatism called "reality." We were happy Obama won. For the first time in many years I felt proud to be an American, not because a Democrat took office, but because voter turnout was stellar. For the first time in years, I felt like Americans, Republicans and Democrats, cared about their country.

It's the day after and I'm watching the analysis just like I would Inside the NBA. Instead of Charles I have Keith and instead of TNT I still have MSNBC, but the pace and the wit and the flash and dash of it all is just the same. Journalism has turned into one giant post-game show and I keep that in mind.

The biggest disappointment for me is the number of Alaskans who voted for Senator Ted Stevens. My husband joked that "only in Alaska can you be a convicted felon and still become senator." We stuck with the age old (I'm talking ancient) Don Young, who is about the biggest jerk on the planet. Perhaps it's easy to accuse my dislike of these men because of their Republican stature, but I have voted many times for Uncle Ted in the past. I also support Senator Lisa Murkowski (though I did not support her dad). The one thing to remember is that I have met all these people face to face many times. I would sit in conference rooms during my journalism days and have hour long interviews about their plans for Alaska. Uncle Ted and Lisa M. are pretty cool people. I think Uncle Ted though just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar without a scapegoat in the other hand. That defies the 48 Laws of Power and so I have to be weary. He might get caught without a scapegoat playing a bigger game in Congress. That will make Alaska look even more greedy that it already appears.

As for Palin... I'm glad she's back to the stateland reigns. I think with some more time in office, she will actually do pretty well; maybe even well enough to try her hand at the big seat in 2012. I would never underestimate her long-range plan. It is not wise to underestimate women like Palin. That is how you get wiped out of the game.

Industry is a better horse to ride than genius.-Walter Lippmann

Beyond Politics

The election over, I know will return to my normal, everyday life of dance and writing. The office at work needs moving and a report needs editing. These things don't care whether McCain or Obama won. My dishes will reside in the sink whether Uncle Ted is senator or if Don Young remains personality-impaired twit. I remember many years ago, on a thirty below day in the newsroom, shortly after Bush (Jr.) was elected president; my friend and then co-worker Robyne sat at her desk looking out the window. She remarked about a strange calm that had fallen on her. "Why do think?" she turned to me, as I doodled in a notebook. I responded, "It's because we have a job, our kids are at school with lunches in hand, and we know that when we go home, nothing will be different than usual."

I know there are many whose lives have been disrupted by the economic downturn and I encourage people to lend a hand; but more I encourage those who are in need of a hand to always remember their own personal responsibility in the equation.

Write more later... Peace... RK

No comments: