Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happy Year of the Ox!

I had to escape
The city was sticky and cruel

Maybe I should have called you first
But I was dying to get to you

I was dreaming while I drove
The long straight road ahead, uh, huh
-- I Drove All Night (pick your singer)

Reconnecting with Old Habits (like sleep)

Roy Orbison, Cindy Lauper, and Celine Dion may have drove all night, but I actually slept all night and actually every night this last week. For normal people this is nothing amazing. For me this is just unheard of; in fact, despite sleeping all night, I find myself still tired by the afternoon. I think my body is telling me that it intends to catch up on all the years of sleepless nights, about 20 of them, whether I like it or not.

My entire waking hours were dedicated to web work. I spent a lot of time searching out specific lines of code and tweaking them and meeting with clients and working on images. The light at the end of the tunnel is appearing on one project, while the other I know will be ongoing. I continue to work on my novel, and have reached close to the 40% mark without straying too far from the outline. I didn't win the Adagio Press Quarterly chapbook contest, but I'm eager to read the works of those who did. I'm glad I entered because it forced me to go through the whole process of getting works together and finding someone to arrange it and typing TOCs and other detailed stuff that just makes me gag. I have a better idea of the time frame and work load that goes into it. I know what I'll be up against the next time.

Other than that it will be a usual week. Dance classes, web design, client meetings, coffee, and hopefully more sleep. This weekend I will be at the studio a bit more because Kendell is going out of town and I'm manning the front desk on Saturday. Sunday I'm helping Sherri with intake in FAA's art gallery, and then I will prepare for my bit on the bed tax panel. In between I will finish up CGP's pages (hopefully). I can't believe it is already the end of January. My God where did the month go. I really hope this isn't too indicative of my year. Last year just hurricaned by me and I would like to remember this year a bit more.

Total Rut and Boredom

I need a vacation. Sadly it has not even been a year since my last vacation, but I am already drooling at the mouth to take another one. While I would love to spend two weeks in Italy, France, or Mexico, I'm thinking my next vacation will probably be at home. Ivan was so "Whatever" about the concept of having me home for an extended period of time, but I think it would be neat, if only to have him around while I spring clean or whatever. Yet, I doubt I'll take any vacation time until late summer or later. I haven't decided about summer dance camp. I actually haven't decided much other than I really need some inspiration or something. I'm sure it is just my undiagnosed ADD kicking in. Winters are long and I hate staring at the same scenery everyday. I want to take a long drive, even if it's just to Delta. I want to go to Anchorage if anything to have dinner and a drink at the Brewhouse. I want to do anything that will get me out of this Rut. I'm wondering if that's why I'm sleeping so much.

Oh well. I'm heading off. Lots to do. I'll write more later... RK

No comments: