Monday, September 21, 2009

Progress: New Article/ New Understudy Role


First Collaborative Review by Ivan (a.ka. Ekon) and Rachael


Researching and writing our review of Fantasy Class: The Martialist by Fantasy Cartographic had to be the best damn assignment I've had in some time. It totally included everything I love: roleplaying games, books, and working with Ivan. Damn, it just doesn't get better than that. Roleplaying Tips published the review this weekend. Fantasy Cartographic also offered to let us preview other works in the future. Ivan and I are jazzed. We love checking out stuff before everyone else.\

The Understudy

After auditions Friday, which I knew going in would be for an understudy part, I have decided that my first autobiography would be called just that: The Understudy. If I had to choose a term for the first 35 years of my life, "the understudy' would be it. I'm always the person who didn't have quite the chutzpa to outshine the person who got the part (or got the guy, or the recognition, etc.), but I stuck around to learn the part and even came in and saved the day if something happened to the person who initially got chosen. Not that this is a bad gig. Understudying is challenging and worth the effort in it, but I think I'm done with that personality. I need to learn to shine a bit more than I allow myself. This is going to be difficult because, despite what others believe, I am really, really shy. I know it doesn't seem like it. I can smile. I get up on stage. I talk to people. I constantly put myself in uncomfortable situations. Yet, I am no less shy than the person that doesn't. Shyness is nothing more than fear of looking like an idiot. I need to shake off that fear. Once I have maybe I can find a new title for a better autobiography to describe the next 35 years of my life.

No comments: