Monday, March 15, 2010

Great for Inspiration: BP World Ice Art Championships

This is a fantastic event for artists looking for great inspiration! I had the opportunity to intern with the Ice Alaska crew when I first moved to Fairbanks. My internship was meant to teach me about Public Relations, but really I learned about an amazing art form that often defies the laws of gravity. Anyone visiting or planning to visit Fairbanks within the month should stop by. My friend showed me pictures from the single block competition. AMAZING! I am going this week with my mom to see the multi-block sculptures. Consequently some of the artists from this show are responsible for building the Chena Hot Springs Ice Museum where you can get an appletini in an ice glass.

Event: BE World Ice Art Championships

Date(s): Feb 20 - Mar 28

International ice sculpting event featuring over 180 sculptures. Best viewing of finished sculptures: March 4-14.

Feb 20 - 21 Single Block Classic: 2/23-2/25

Multi Block Classic 2/28-3/5

Amateur Open Exhibition 2/24-3/12

Junior World Ice Art Championship 3/9-3/12 for High School Students

Best viewing of finished art is 3/6-3/15

Main Number(907) 451-8250

Main website: www.icealaska.com

For questions regarding Junior World Ice Art Championship call Carl Eady, Championship Coordinator at (907)799-5873 or email 59icecarver@gmail.com OR Hoa Brickley (907)388-6388, hoa@icealaska.com

Age Suitability: All Ages
Ideal Weather: Any Weather

No comments: