Thursday, May 06, 2010

Retro Reading: Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles

Sherlock is my hero.  It's the brain. It's the demeanor.  Okay, it's really that he's British.  Yet, I enjoy the Hound of the Baskervilles because Watson gets the spotlight.  Yes, Sherlock figures it all out in the end and the bad guy is caught using his master plan, but the footwork is done by Watson.  More than just carried out by Watson, the methods are derived without guidance from Sherlock and so we really get to see Watson's thought process.  Sometimes it is as simple as asking, "What would Sherlock do?" Most of the time it is incredibly complex.

Worth the read.  Totally regret that I didn't read it sooner.



"I had a monumental idea this morning, but I didn't like it."
Samuel Goldwyn (1882 - 1974)

No comments: