Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Put Up or Shut Up: Testing and Performances

We are broaching finals week.  It's the end of the semester and now is the time to put down everything you've picked up in your academic semester.  My finals are physical as much as mental, and will probably go more smoothly if I throw all the mental out.  In a few days our Kung Fu class will undergo another round of belt testing.  The following day my dance studio will present our winter show for First Friday.  It's a now or never.  It's showtime!

What has been going through my head the past week are two things:

1) Stop trying to hit me and hit me (The Matrix)

2) When you focus on Kung Fu... you suck. (Kung Fu Panda)

They are essentially saying the same thing.  Whenever you are wrapped up the "doing;" when you compare yourself to others; when you think about what you can't do; then you bound up the body's energy (the same could be said for the mind).  Yet, when you just let things flow; when you accept that your body is in a state of learning; that anything you do will be different than others; that we will have different talents; then the flow is smoother.  So all week I have been revising these two sentences:


1) Stop trying to (dance, write, do Kung Fu) and (dance, write, do Kung Fu).

2) When you focus on (dance, write, do Kung Fu) ... you suck.

I have no doubt that Kung Fu testing will go well.  I've picked out my form I want to perform.  I've practiced it.  I know it.

My show choreography for the main presentation is set and my body blows through it without a thought.  There are a few bits to clear up on other numbers, but I will be ready for our main weekend on December 10th, 11th, and 12th.

If you happen to be in the Fairbanks area on First Friday (December 3rd) drop in to see our presentation of Gaite Parisienne at 7PM in the Edna Wise Theatre (656 7th Avenue). Tickets are $10 and available at the door. This is mainly a dress rehearsal that is open for preview and does not include every show piece performed December 10th-12th.  Show times for that performance are as follows:

December 10th @ 7PM
December 11th @ 2PM & 7PM
December 12th @ 2PM & 5PM
Edna Wise Theatre: 656 7th Avenue
$15 for Adults;
$10 for 12 & Under, Senior, Military;
$5 with four (4) canned food items that will be donated to the Fairbanks Community Food Bank.

No comments: